Joseph Parry's Cottage
4 Chapel Row is a fine example of a
typical ironworker's cottage.
It is open to the public currently
April-September: Saturday & Sunday.
October-March: Open by appointment only. Please
note there will be a £1 per head charge for opening out of
hours. Contact Cyfarthfa Castle Museum on 01685 727371 to
make an appointment.
Should you wish to visit at any other time, please contact us on
the number below, or via email and we will do our best to arrange
Built in the 1820's for the workers of the Cyfarthfa Ironworks,
the cottage was the birthplace in 1841 of Joseph Parry, Wales best
His much loved 'Myfanwy' is still a favourite of Welsh Male
Voice Choirs to this day.
The interior of the cottage is set in the 1840's, and shows the
living conditions of the ironworkers at the time when Parry was a
The upstairs galleries house an exhibition about Parry's life
and work, and a small section giving further background to Merthyr
Tydfil's industrial past.
How to find us:
4 Chapel Row
Was this information useful?