Immediately opposite the entrance gates to Cyfarthfa Castle, the farm was built in 1816 and then the clock tower was added in 1856. The original clock had three faces with one facing Cyfarthfa Ironworks. It was built soon after Cyfarthfa Castle in the same style and possibly by the castle’s architect Robert Lugar.
Stepped terrace of industrial housing set into the hillside below Cyfarthfa Castle, facing over River Taff towards the site of former Cyfarthfa Ironworks. They are an important example of early workers' housing and the longest industrial terrace now remaining in largely unaltered condition. They are Grade II Listed Buildings.
Williamstown, Cae-Pant-Tywyll, Tydfil's Well and Morgan Town developed at the end of the 18th century, as an ironworks settlement based around the Cyfarthfa Iron Works. By 1814, the settlement comprised of short rows of cottages to either side of Brecon Road, including Castle Square (Pandy Place), the tollhouse, Quarry Row and Bethesda Street. The settlement was largely complete by 1836.
Toll houses were built as early as the 17th century in order to collect money to maintain the road networks. Toll gates were placed across the main thoroughfares to extract charges on travellers and farmers who were walking their livestock to local markets. The heavy tolls created conflicts that would often erupt into violence seen in the famous ‘Rebecca Riots’ 1839 in West Wales.
The Pandy Farm was once used as a Toll House until a new toll house, also known as the ‘Round House’ was established at Grawen on Brecon Road in 1842.