This viaduct, near Treharris, to the southeast of Quakers Yard Station, runs over the River Taff. Constructed as part of Isambard Kingdom Brunel’s single-track Taff Vale Railway it connected Merthyr Tydfil to Cardiff docks. It and opened in 1841.
This early railway bridge is 32.3m high, and has six arches of 15.2m span each with octagonal piers. Its westernmost arch passes over the former Merthyr Tramroad (completed 1802), now part of the Taff Trail (NCN cycle route 8).
The structure is Graded II* listed ‘as one of the most remarkable bridges by Brunel to survive in Wales’.
Find out more –